1 cup gram flour (besan)
1 medium red onion,finely chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
handful of chopped cilantro
tamarind extract from a lemon size tamarind bowl
Grind to paste
1 cup fresh/frozen coconut
3 garlic cloves,minced
1 tsp onion
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
Grind the above ingredients with little water to a smooth paste
Here's what you need to do
- In a bowl mix together besan ,half of the chopped onion,1/2 tsp chilli powder,1/4 tsp turmeric,1/4 tsp salt,1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp cilantro and with little water mix to form a stiff dough.
- Grease your hand with little oil and make lemon size bolwls of this dough.
- Heat oil in a kadhai,when hot add the onion and fry till translucent.
- Add the ground paste,chilli powder and turmeric.Saute this mixture for couple of minutes.
- Now add salt sugar,tamarind juice and 2 cups of water.
- Let the curry come to a rolling boil.At this stage add the besan balls.Simmer and let this mixture bowl for 5-7 minutes.Check for spices and adjust the gravy consistency as needed.
- Pour in a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.