250 gms paneer cubed
1 large red onion,cubed (or 2 medium onions)
3 large tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp kitchen king masala
1 tbsp kasoori methi,crushed between your palms
5 cashews ,soaked for 30 mins
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp kashmiri mirch powder
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup whole milk (or cream)
1 tbsp butter/ghee
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
Here's what you need to do
- Wash the tomatoes and make a not so deep + on one of their narrow side.
- Boil 1 1/2 cups of water in a sauce pan and drop the tomatoes .
- After 4 mins,switch off the heat cover the pan and set aside for 10 mins.
- Fish the tomatoes out.Peel the skin and chop them roughly.Reserve the juice they release while chopping.
- Put the sauce pan along with the water remaining back on stove and let the water come to a boil.
- Now add the cubed onion and cook covered till they are soft,about 5 mins.Cover and set aside.
- Drain the boiled onion and reserve the remaining water.
- Puree onions to a smooth paste.Do not use water.
- Heat a heavy bottom kadhai, add 1 tbsp oil.When hot add the cinnamon and fry for a min.Add the ginger garlic and fry till light brown.
- Now add chopped boiled tomatoes and fry for 4 -5 mins.Cool and puree along with its reserved juice,chilli powder,kashmiri mirch powder,coriander and cumin powder to a very smooth paste.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in the same kadhai,add the onion puree and fry for 7-8 mins.
- Add the tomato puree and fry till oil (hmm...and butter separates),about 8-10 mins on medium heat.
- Add the reserved water from the onion,milk,sugar salt ,mix and cook covered for 5-6 mins.
- Drop the cubed paneer,kitchen king masala and kasuri methi.
- Let it simmer for 8 mins cover.
- Check for spice (get your tastebuds working) and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with roti/naan/tandoori roti or any type of rice with lemon wedges and sliced onion.
- For better result shallow fry paneer in a tbsp of oil until light golden and drop it in a cup of lightly salted water and set aside.Use the same kadhai or pan for frying the tomatoes and proceed with the recipe.You can use this salted water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.