5 cups rice Krispie Cereals
1/2 cup raw peanuts
10-12 curry leaves
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp broken cashews (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp amchur powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground coriander-cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder (or adjust to taste)
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
What you need to do:
- In a heavy bottom pan heat 1 tbsp oil till hot.Turn the heat to low,add the peanuts and cashews and fry till light golden.Drain and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining oil.When hot add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add curry leaves and fry for 30 secs.
- Add turmeric,chilli powder,amchur powder,coriander-cumin powder and fry for a min.
- Add the sal.Mix and switch off the heat.
- Drop in the rice krispies,peanuts,cashews and sugar and mix well till all the spices coat each grain of rice krispie.
- When cooled store in an airtight container.
- Add 2 tbsp of golden raisins for a nice sweet bite.Just toss the raisins in oil before you fry the peanuts and cashews for 10 secs,remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add 1 tsp of chopped garlic to the oil along with the curry leaves.