1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour (I used Indian Atta)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin(Homemade works best)
2 tbsp flax seeds
2 large eggs(at room temperature)For eggless version refer note.
What you need to do
- Position the baking rack at the center and preheat the oven to 350 deg F.Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift wheat flour,baking soda,salt,nutmeg powder,cinnamon powder,cardamom powder and ground clove in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl,combine oil and sugar and using hand mixer mix it for a minute.
- Add an egg at a time and beat the mixture for another minute.
- Pour in the pumpkin puree and ginger and mix well.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Drop the batter in the loaf pan and sprinkle the top with flax seeds.
- Pat the pan couple of times on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 55 mins.Switch off the oven and let it stand for another 5 mins.
- Remove and let it cool for 10 mins before you unmold and let it cool completely on a rack.
- Slice and serve.
- You can use olive oil.
- You can add nut and raisins to the batter.
- You can replace the whole wheat flour with plain flour or combine both flours.
- You can substitute the eggs with 1/2 cup plain yogurt.