8 slices of white sandwich bread
1/4 cup+3 tbsp of sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1.5 cups milk
What you need to do
- Pulse the bread slices in a food processor to form course bread crumbs.Alternately,make small bit size pieces.
- Warm the milk for a minute in microwave.
- In a bowl,add the bread crumbs,milk,cinnamon powder,1/4 cup sugar and vanilla.Mix well and set aside.
- Set the idli cooker/pressure cooker(without whistle) for steaming.Add 1 cup of water in the cooker ,cover with its lid and place in on medium heat.I place a small inverted thali inside the cooker so that the food to be cooker does not come in direct contact with the heat.
- Heat a deep saucepan,add a tablespoon of water and 3 tbsp of sugar.Stir continuously on low heat till it turns golden.Switch off the heat.
- Pour this mixture in the container you intend to prepare the caramel.Tilt the container so that the mixture spreads well.
- Pour the bread mixture in this container.Cover this container with a perforated plate or seal the container with aluminium foil with holes punched for steam to escape.
- Open the cooker carefully and place this container with lid.Close the cooker and steam for 25 mins.Let it stand for 5 mins.
- Remove from cooker and let it cool completely.
- Set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Cut into desired shape while serving.Serve cold.