1 cup Basmati rice,soak for an hour in 2 cups of water
3/4 cup mini soya chunks
1/4 cup carrots, cubed
1/4 cup green pepper,cubed
1/4 cup green peas,defrosted
1 medium onion,thinly sliced into half moons
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 large tomato,chopped
1 tbsp roasted unsalted cashew pieces
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 black pepper
1 green cardamom
1 dry bay leaf
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp kasoori methi
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp curd,lightly beaten until smooth
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp kasuri methi
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp finely chopped cilantro
What you need to do
- Soak the soya chunk in 2 cups of warm water with 1 tsp salt for 30 mins.
- Mix all the ingredients under marinate.
- Drain the soya chunks.Squeeze them to remove water and drop them in the marinate.Mix and let it stand for atleast 15 mins.
- Drain the rice as well.
- Heat a pressure cooker,add oil and ghee.When hot drop in the cumin seeds,bay leaf,cinnamon,clove,cardamom and pepper.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Drop in the tomato and cook for 2 mins until soft.
- Next come the veggies.Cook them for 3 mins.
- Add the soya chunks along with the marinate followed by the rice.Saute for another 2 mins.
- Then goes the spices-chili powder,turmeric,garam masala,kasuri methi,cashews and salt.
- Pour in 1 3/4 cup of water.Close the cooker.Cook till you hear 3 whistles.Switch off the heat and let it stand for 15 mins.
- Open the cooker and puff the rice with a fork.Add the lemon juice and cilantro give it a gentle mix.
- Voila! Aromatic biryani is ready.
- Adjust the spice level as per your liking.
- You can use sona masoori rice for this recipe with great results.
- Kids love to have this biryani in their lunch box.
- Add 2 tbsp of chopped fresh mint leaves to the marinate to enhance the flavor.
- Serve with raita.