1 cup non-fat milk powder
4 tbsp condensed milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp milk
few strands of saffron
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
What you need to do:
- Drop the saffron in warm milk and set aside for 5 mins.
- In a large glass bowl,add the butter and melt it in microwave for 30 sec.
- Add the milk powder and condensed milk,mix it well so that no lumps and formed.
- Microwave for 45 secs.
- Remove from the microwave,add the saffron milk,give it a mix and again microwave for 45 secs.Add cardamom powder and mix.
- Let it cool for a minute, grease your palms with butter and when the mixture is still warm, take a small ball of mixture flatten it between your palms and shape it into a pedha.If desired,garnish it with nuts of your choice.
- Similarly make all the pedhas.Note:If the mixture cools it will be difficult to shape the pedhas.
- Let it sit atleast for an hour before serving.
- The color of the pedha depends on the color of butter and saffron.For yellow color add a drop of yellow color along with the cardamom powder.
- You can roll out the mixture into a thick sheet and cut the pedhas with cookie cutter.
- Increase the condensed milk by a tbsp if you like sweeter pedhas.
- If you double this recipe,you will have to place the mixture in microwave for another 30 secs after mixing.
- Use a sturdy spoon/whisk for mixing.
- Use cookie stamps to decorate the pedhas.
- Use silvered almond or pistachios to decorate the pedhas.