1 cup soya nuggets (I used Nutrella brand)
2 tbsp curd/plain yogurt
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
3 tbsp dessicated dry coconut-dry roated until light golden
1 tbsp crushed kasuri methi
5 whole cashew nuts
4 tbsp oil
2 cups hot water
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
salt to taste
1" cinnamon stick,3 cloves,4 black peppers
Lightly dry roast the above whole masala for a minutes.
What you need to do:
- Add 1 tsp of salt to hot water and drop in the soya chunks.Set aside for 1/2 an hour.
- Gently squeeze the chunks to remove the water and cut them in half.
- In a bowl beat the curd with turmeric , a tsp of chilli powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Drop the soya chunks in this and gently mix till they are coated with the mixture.Set aside till you make the gravy ready,about 15-20 mins.
- In a kadhai,add 2 tbsp of oil,when hot drop in the onion and saute till light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till its raw smell goes,about 3-4 mins.
- Add the tomato and fry till mushy and oil separates.
- Once the oil separates,add the coriander powder and chilli powder and fry for a min.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Grind the mixture along with the whole masala,coconut and cashew nuts to a smooth paste.
- In the same kadhai,heat the ramaining oil when hot add hing,mustard seeds when the splutter add kashmiri chilli powder and the marinated chunks and fry for couple of mins.
- Add the ground paste,salt ,kasuri methi,sugar,milk and 1/2 cup water and let it simmer for 10 mis.
- Check for seasoning and adjust the consistency of the gravy.Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with bread ,rice or roti with sliced onions and lemon wedges.