Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Melting Goodies:Microwave Pedha







Be it the birth of a boy or happiness of getting good marks or a new job, people distribute mithai preferably pedhas.This recipe of microwave pedha is quick easy and delicious. I prefer homemade pedhas since I have had bad experience with store bought mithais in US.I usually prepare these when we have some pooja at home or when as prasadam for temple.


Here's what you will need


1 can sweetened condense milk 14 oz

2 1/4 cup milk powder (I used Nido brand)

8 tbsp clarified butter/ghee

1/2 tsp cardamom powder

Few strands of saffron

4 tbsp milk

Almonds/pistachios for garnishing


The cooking Process

Mix the saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk keep aside .
Meanwhile in a microwave safe glass bowl ( use a good size bowl to avoid spills ) mix all the above ingredients except the nuts for garnishing.
On high power microwave for 2 mins.Remove and mix well.
Again microwave for 3 mins stir the contents every 30 secs.Remove and mix well.
Let it cool till it is warm enough to be handled. Knead it for 3 mins.
Make small balls and garnish with your favorite nuts.
Let it rest for 15 mins.


Enjoy...


Yields: 23-25 pedhas (approx. 3 cm in diameter)




Note:

  •   Ghee can be replaced by unsalted butter. But it taste better with ghee.
  •   The milk and saffron is added in this recipe to enhance the taste and texture of pedha.You can skip it completely if you need to increase the shelf life.

11 comments:

Spice said...

don't u think they r perfect for the birth of a girl also....we celebrate that too, right.....I'll try these, looks quite easy...as i usually don't make indian sweets...don't have that much patience....but this one i can surely try...got to get milk powder don't have any.....

Anncoo said...

Hi Ankita,
Looks good! Never thought using ghee or saffron to make biscuits or cookies. Must add this in my to do list.
Thanks for coming to my blog. Please visit often.

Ankita said...

Thanks for your wonderful comment.Do try these n let me know.

We celebrate birth of a baby boy with pedhas and baby girl with barfi.I didn't intent any gender discrimination.

Sushma Mallya said...

That looks perfect and yummy...

Abhilash said...

peda...I forget them. Thanks to make me remember.

We use to have pada's during celebrations.

The day when markshhets were displayed in schools, I used to get a lot of pedas. Thank god my mother never had to invest money on buying pedas for my percentile. :)

I dont know why but I was a person with helping mentality and I never made my parents invest on such sweets for my studies. I was a studious student of my school.

Your version of peda looks delicious. I think Maharashtra is calling me.

SE(Denufood) said...

hi ankita..the pedas look delicious..you made me go down the memory lane with all those excitement of year end results..thanks!! didnt knew making peda was so easy

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Wow! thats fantastic MW peda, makes me drool....

Indu said...

I have eaten only storebought pedas. can't believe you did it at home.lovely

Gulmohar said...

Perfect looking pedas...love them:-)

Nithya said...

Wow.. this looks perfect and yummy. :)

guess I am here for the first time. Should say you have a lovely blog. keep it going. will be here often.

Do peep into my blogs sometime.

SriLekha said...

wow! that looks yummy!
check out the oats series round up and i welcome u to join with us in the Variety Rice series going in my blog!