1 bunch spinach
Trim and wash the spinach leaves and drop them in boiling water and let them boil for couple of minutes.Fish the leaves out and drop them in ice cold water.Let them rest for 5 mins.Later make a puree of the leaves.
1 cup masoor
soaked overnite and cooked just until done but not mushy.
1 medium red onion chopped
2 green chillis slit
1 medium tomato chopped
7 cloves of garlic minced
4 tbsp dessicated coconut
Dry roasted till light golden.
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
Let's start cooking
- Heat a fry pan ,add a tbsp of oil when hot drop in garlic and saute for a couple of mins till light brown.
- Add the onion and fry till transparent,about 4 mins.
- Add green chillis,tomato,coriander powder,cumin powder,red chilli powder and fry till oil separates,about 5 mins.Remember we have used very less oil so you won't see a lot of oil oozing out.At this stage the mixture forms a mass and starts leaving the pan.
- When warm grind this tomato-onion mixture to a fine paste along with the roasted coconut.
- Heat the remaining oil,when hot fry the above prepared onion- tomato paste for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cooked masoor,salt to taste and let it boil.
- When the paste begins to boil add the spinach puree and garam masala powder.Cook for couple of mins.Serve hot with rotis.
I use lentils available at american grocery store instead of masoor from indian grocery store.They cook well in microwave even in 10 mins if soaked an hour ahead.